Cooking without garlic. It can happen, apparently.
Also, feel free to adjust the ingredients. This just happens to be what I had/had a lot of/needed to be used urgently, etc.
2 red onions, coarsely chopped
3 cayenne peppers, seedled, finely minced
2 large carrots (purple & orange), peeled, cut in chunks
1 sweet potato, peeled, cut in chunks
2 sweet peppers (green & orange), seeded, coarsely chopped
1 C green beans, cut
1 cup assorted dried mushrooms (porcini, shiitake, oyster)
~2 cups boiling water
1 TB marmite
1 tsp dried thyme
1 TB anise seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
5 allspice berries
1/4 C curry leaves, crushed
1 C red wine
9 sweet/sticky rice ball dumplings
1. pour just boiled water over dried mushrooms and let them steep.
2. heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and fry until they start to get translucent. Add cayenne peppers and mix.
3. Grind anise, coriander, allspice to a powder. Combine with thyme and set aside.
4. Add carrots and sweet potato, spice mix (above) and stir to combine.
5. make a well in the center, add the marmite. Pour the mushroom soaking water (reserving the reconstituted mushrooms) gradually, stirring to mix the marmite in with the broth.
6. Mince the mushrooms and add them with the green beans and sweet peppers. Toss in the curry leaves, add the wine, mix the whole thing together and simmer a while.
7. Make balls with leftover sticky rice. Place on top of the stew, cover with a lid and let steam until done (hopefully this will thicken the stew also).