North African chili paste.
2 TB cumin seeds
2 tsp caraway seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
5 dried cayenne peppers
5 dried kashmiri peppers
9 dried New Mexico peppers
10 cloves garlic
2 tsp dried mint
juice of 1 lemon
1. seed and stem the dried chillies – use gloves. Seriously.
2. cover the chillies with hot water and let soak.
3. toast the cumin, caraway, and coriander seeds over medium heat until fragrant.
4. Grind the seeds in a spice mill (coffee grinder, etc.)
5. crush and peel the garlic.
6. drain the chillies (reserving the water)
7. combine spice powder, chillies, garlic, mint, lemon juice, a few tablespoons of olive oil, and a few tablespoons of soaking water. Blend in a blender or food processor. I used an immersion blender which really isn’t ideal, but what ya gonna do?
8. add more water or oil to get a consistency that makes you happy. Also salt, which I typically don’t add to things.
9. store in an airtight jar, cover with a layer of olive oil.
I found the heat to be slow to come on, but intense. I like it.